North Country Storage would like to provide you with some packing tips to help you get the most out of your storage unit.
- The Right Box
- When packing items try to use smaller boxes for heavier items and large boxes for lighter stuff, like linens and clothes. Remember to label them well on at least two sides. You’ll be glad you did so later. Avoid using plastic garbage bags that can cause mildew and won’t stack well.
- Take it Apart
- Many large pieces of furniture such bed-frames and some tables and chairs can be taken apart to save space.
- Store on End
- It’s better to store furniture like a sofa on end unless it contains a fold out bed. Items like mattresses and mirrors should always be stored on end.
- To avoid crushing your stuff, make sure to put heavier boxes and items at the bottom and lighter items on top. It also makes sense to provide a walkway all the way to the back of your unit with things you need to get to most often at the front. With a little planning and organization you’ll be able to find what your looking for later without having to pull everything out to find it.
- Use that Space
- Use those empty drawers to store stuff. Just make sure to leave them partially open so that air can circulate.
- For items like refrigerators, freezers, or stoves, make sure you clean them out well prior to storing them and make sure they’re dry. Leave refrigerator and freezer doors slightly ajar for air circulation. Washing machines should be drained and cleaned.
- Keep Things Dry
- Don’t store wet items! This can lead to mildew and water damage. For storing clothes, wardrobe boxes are your best choice, as they’ll get some air circulation.